Offensive player of the week: Lexington junior running back Ja’Kobe Cooper capped the Eagles’ regular season in style on Friday, rushing for 236 yards and six touchdowns on 15 attempts in a 62-10 win over Florence. He scored on a pair of 55-yard runs, a 51-yard run and 3-, 8- and 10-yard runs and improved his season rushing total to 2,422 yards. The Eagles finished a perfect 10-0 in the regular season and will face Brazos in a bi-district matchup on Friday.
Defensive player of the week: Iola linebacker Colton Renick recorded 21 tackles, three for loss, and a quarterback hurry in the Bulldogs’ district-clinching 38-0 win over Daisetta. Iola (6-5) will face Mount Enterprise in a bi-district game on Friday.
Special teams player of the week: A&M Consolidated’s Cade Williams had two punt returns totaling 95 yards and made all five PATs in the Tigers’ 35-7 win over Rudder on Friday. He also had seven catches for 84 yards. Consol (8-2) heads to the playoffs, where it will face Whitehouse.
Team of the week: Hearne beat Buffalo 26-19 to clinch the 12-3A II title on Friday. The Eagles finished their district slate undefeated and went 8-2 in the regular season. Buffalo was favored by 11 heading into the matchup. Linebacker Patrick Foley stripped the ball and returned it inside the Buffalo 20 to help preserve the win and give the Eagles their first district championship since 1985. Hearne (8-2) will face Rio Vista on Friday.
TOP 10 PERFORMANCES
• Franklin sophomore Datron Dixon ran for 158 yards and three touchdowns on 16 attempts in the Lions 33-13 win over Little River Academy on Friday. He scored on 5-, 41 and 28-yard runs and also threw a 20-yard touchdown pass. Franklin (8-2) will face Groesbeck on Friday.
• Consol junior defensive lineman Josh Ellison recorded 15 tackles (12 solo) in the Tigers’ win on Friday.
• Brazos Christian senior running back Tucker Hartis finished with 189 yards and six touchdowns on 15 carries in the Eagles’ 56-13 win over St. Joseph on Friday. Hartis scored on 2-, 10-, 5-, 16-, 55- and 54-yard runs. Brazos Christian (8-2) will face Legacy Christian Academy in its playoff opener Friday.
• Brenham senior Treveon Johnson ran for 197 yards on seven carries in the Cubs’ 35-28 loss against Magnolia on Friday. He also caught two passes for 10 yards. The Cubs (6-3) will square off against Hutto in a bi-district game on Friday at Merrill Green Stadium.
• Milano senior quarterback Kyle King threw for 240 yards and three touchdowns on 12-of-14 passing in the Eagles’ 49-21 win over Somerville on Friday. He connected with Devonte James to put the Eagles on the board and threw a pair of 5-yard touchdown passes to James in the second quarter. King also finished with 70 rushing yards on 10 carries and had 9- and 10-yard touchdown runs. Milano (9-1) will face D’Hanis on Friday.
• Navasota quarterback Jeb Malek recorded 195 yards through the air and threw four touchdowns and an interception on 17-of-26 passing to help the Rattlers clinch district 10-4A I with a 40-30 win over Little Cypress-Mauriceville. Navasota (6-4) faces Hendersonville on Friday.
• Lexington senior Tanner Meuth recovered a fumble and returned it 53 yards for a touchdown against Florence on Friday. He also caught a 57-yard pass.
• Brenham senior Monterrious Moore caught five passes for 104 yards and a touchdown in the loss to the Bulldogs.
• St. Joseph quarterback John Najvar threw for 202 yards and a 55-yard touchdown on 13-of-27 passing in the Eagles’ loss to Brazos Christian on Friday.
• Bremond’s Michael Pruitt returned a fumble 41 yards for a touchdown in the Tigers’ 41-14 win over Dawson. He also recorded 56 rushing yards including a 6-yard touchdown run. Bremond (9-1) has a bi-district matchup with Clarksville on Friday.