This holiday weekend features a free one-day conference honoring the life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., an SEC matchup for the Texas A&M women’s basketball team, a 5K that has Girl Scout cookies for the prizes and usual Aggieland happenings. For a full list of events, check out the online Events Calendar.
• Degallery is hosting an opening reception for “Unique ceramic Mandala Art Plates” at 7 p.m. Friday. Degallery, 702 University Drive E., No. 102D, will show a collection of plates created by Yulia Drozdova that feature intricate designs that represent stories of her ancestry. The event is free and open to the public. For more information, visit www.facebook.com/events/2453087751583991/.
• Finally, something worth running for – the BCS Thin Mint Spring 5K on Saturday at 8 a.m. at the Brazos County Expo will reward runners with Girl Scout cookies. The race benefits St. Vincent de Paul and the Down Syndrome Association of Brazos Valley. The grand prize winner receives a year supply of Girl Scout cookies and other cookie prizes will be awarded to winners of other age divisions. All participants will receive a participation patch. Registration is $35. To sign up, visit runsignup.com/Race/TX/Bryan/BCSThinMintSprint.
• On, Saturday, the Lincoln Recreation Center is hosting The Dream Works Conference from 11 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. In honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., the conference features a luncheon, presentations on character and leadership and an evening of praise and worship. Admission is free and lunch is $5 per plate. To register, visit cstx.gov/DreamWorks.
• Those who garden and are looking forward to spring, there are a couple of gardening presentations this weekend. The A&M Garden Club is having a presentation on Friday at 10:30 a.m. at the College Station Waste Water Treatment Plant where AMGC member Heather White will talk about “Growing Fresh Air: How Plants Remove Toxins and Treat Sick Building Syndrome.” On Saturday at 11 a.m. at Martha’s Bloomers in Navasota, Elmer Krehbiel will present on “Spring Garden Tips” – focusing on gardening tricks and tips to get your garden ready for spring.
• The Texas A&M women’s basketball team will take on Georgia on Sunday at Reed Arena at 2 p.m. For more information, visit 12thman.com/schedule.aspx?path=wbball.