A squirrel was blamed for causing a power outage that affected almost 8,500 customers Sunday morning, according to officials with College Station Utilities.

A press release stated that the rodent got into the Southwood Valley Substation at 7:13 a.m. and caused significant breaker damage that resulted in a small fire. The College Station Fire Department responded and put out the fire within  minutes.

The breaker failure left residents in the area of F.M. 2154 to Texas Avenue and Rock Prairie Road to Holleman Drive without power until 8:15 a.m.

Officials said the squirrel was electrocuted.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.