Summertime fun is in full swing as some of the Bryan-College Station’s biggest seasonal events happen this weekend, including the start of Messina Hof’s Harvest Festival, The Games of Texas Opening Ceremonies and the Brazos Valley Museum of Natural History’s Wish Upon a Butterfly event. For more happenings, check out the online Events Calendar.
• StageCenter Theatre, on 218 N. Bryan Ave., presents the opening weekend of Caught in the Villain’s Web , which will run through Aug. 10. Bring the whole family out to cheer for the hero and boo, hiss and throw popcorn at the villain. Tickets are $10 on Thursdays and $15 on Fridays and Saturdays. For more information, visit stagecenter.net.
• The Games of Texas Opening Ceremonies will be on Friday from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Wolf Pen Creek Park, featuring a parade of athletes, food trucks and an acrobatics performance. Admission is free. The rest of the week, spectators can watch sporting events at facilities around Bryan-College Station. It’s free to watch except for boxing, track & field and swimming. Athletes will compete in archer, boxing, flag football, golf, Judo, lifeguard competition, pickleball, sand volleyball, skateboarding, swimming, tennis, track & field and ultimate frisbee. For a schedule, visit www.taaf.com/gamesoftexas.
• Live, outdoor music continues this summer with the Downtown Bryan Association’s Summer Sunset Series. The Docs perform on Friday at 8 p.m. at the Palace Theater. Admission is free. For more information, visit www.downtownbryan.com/event/2019-summer-sunset-series/. Also, The Eats & Beats music series at Lake Walk continues Friday at 7 p.m. with Hayden Haddock. For more information, visit www.lakewalktx.com/events.
• Messina Hof’s annual three-week Harvest Festival kicks off on Friday. The event celebrates the harvest with picking and stomping grapes, tours, tastings, food, contests, mystery dinner theater and more. Friday’s Moonlit Harvest, from 7:30 to 10 p.m., features the Blessing of the Vines, grape picking and stomping and a dinner featuring a vineyard cuisine buffet and a wide selection of wine. General admission tickets are $59.95. Reservations are required. On Saturday, the Daytime Harvest Festival, from 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., features picking and stomping the grapes, a tour, tastings, a vineyard cuisine lunch buffet and a food and wine pairing class. For more information about the rest of the Harvest Festival events, visit messinahof.com.
• The Brazos Valley Museum of Natural History presents Wish Upon a Butterfly on Saturday from 9 a.m. to noon. at its location. One butterfly ticket purchase per family includes admission to the museum where visitors may enjoy live music, crafts and butterfly displays. During the event, a variety of brunch-style refreshments will be available for ticket holders. Monarchs and wishes will be released at 10 am. Butterflies are $30 each, (or 4 for $100). Supplies are limited, so call the museum to reserve a butterfly. For more information, visit brazosvalleymuseum.org/.