This weekend offers great events both inside and outdoors, including Cheers to Craft Beers, Shakes on the Lake and the 57th annual Texas State 4-H Horse Show. To find more events, including live music, visit the online Events Calendar.
- The Salvation Army is throwing a block party for the community on Friday – giving away free haircuts, food and school supplies. There will also be music, games, face-painting, a video games trailer and a dunking booth. Community organizations will be on hand with information and representatives. The event will be from 6 to 8 p.m. at 2506 Cavitt Ave. For more information, contact Analese Ryerson at Analese.Ryerson@uss.salvationarmy.org.
- Shakes on the Lakes kicks off on Friday at 8 p.m. at Lake Walk Town Center in Bryan. The series of free, outdoor performances of Shakespeare’s The Tempest continues Saturday, Aug. 2 and Aug. 3. The comedy tells the story of Prospero, a sorcerer who lives on a remote island with his daughter Miranda, and two servants: Caliban and Ariel. No reservations are required. Blankets and chairs are suggested, with patrons with chairs asked to sit behind those on blankets so everyone can see. Guests can bring their own picnics and coolers, but alcohol is not allowed.
- The Brazos County Expo is hosting the 57th annual Texas State 4-H Horse Show July Saturday through July 27. Over 350 4-H youth plus their families attend the show from all over the state of Texas and will feature up to 40 classes of competition, educational programs, scholarships, and college preparation opportunities. For more information, visit animalscience.tamu.edu/livestock-species/equine/state-4h-show/ .
- The Clara B. Mounce Public Library is hosting a Lunar Landing Party and Movie on Saturday from 1 to 4 p.m. To celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing, the library will be showing some footage from the 1969 lunar landing, and at 2 p.m., will show Wall-E, rated G. For more information about this event, contact Kate at (979) 209-5600 or visit www.bcslibrary.org/adult-summer-reading .
- Downtown Bryan’s 5th annual Cheers to Craft Beer is on Saturday from 3 to 7 p.m. The self-paced, walking event features craft beer tastings inside Downtown Bryan retail stores and restaurants. After checking in at the Palace Theater, ticket holders will receive a map of participating locations and a keepsake tasting glass. Tickets are $30 online through Friday and $35 at the door on Saturday. For more information and for tickets, visit downtownbryan.com.