A two-hour standoff in a quiet south College Station neighborhood ended just after midnight Wednesday when SWAT team members arrested a 20-year-old man who police said had barricaded himself inside his home.

Officers responded to a home in the 600 block of Harvest Street at 10:09 p.m. Tuesday after receiving reports of gunshots.

According to the police report, at least three shots were fired inside the home during a struggle between William Keith Herring and his father. The pair had been arguing about "past relationship problems," Herring's sister told police.

Family members escaped the home without injury, but Herring did not cooperate with officers asking him to exit the residence with his hands up and instead fled the home through the backyard and jumped several fences, police said.

As a precaution, dispatchers phoned nearby homes and officers went door-to-door asking residents to evacuate to Cypress Intermediate School, Lt. Chuck Fleeger said.

Herring was arrested at 12:09 a.m. as he was making his way back into his backyard and was charged with assault on a family member, a Class A misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail, and evading arrest with a previous conviction, a state jail felony punishable by up to two years behind bars. Fleeger said additional charges are possible as the investigation continues.

In 2012, Herring was convicted of evading arrest, possession of less than two ounces of marijuana and a DWI out of Burleson County.

Herring was being held at the Brazos County Jail on Wednesday in lieu of $21,000 bail and under a 24-hour hold.

The neighborhood, which is near Graham Road and Victoria Street, is made up of a mix of families and Texas A&M students, including several who described the scene on social media.

Noticing lights flashing outside his house while watching a movie in his living room, Hayden Greer peeked outside expecting to see someone getting pulled over. Instead, he witnessed College Station police officers holding automatic weapons, so he said he immediately took to Twitter.

Over the next hour and a half, the 20-year-old sophomore political science major used the hashtag #LiveTweetTheNeighborTakedown to describe the scene as it unfolded. His view was from a closet window on the second floor. He said he was never more than 100 yards away from the action and watched as the suspect hopped a fence.

Around midnight, the city's spokesman contacted Greer asking him to stop tweeting out specific information about the standoff for safety reasons, and Greer complied.

Fleeger said witnesses should "understand the breadth of reach when they utilize social media and understand the possible unintended consequences" that could happen if information about police activity gets in the hands of the wrong person.

Instead, Fleeger asked that the public call 911 to share information with police.

"What they're seeing is a portion of what's going on," Fleeger said. "If we don't have their perspective, and if everyone gives us the information they have, we can combine it with what the officers are seeing and give us a better overall view. We're not asking people to not engage in social media, but understand that it's important that police have the information as well."

While the topic of safety was touched on by some Twitter users following the "takedown" hashtag, Greer said any man "dumb enough to involve himself in a domestic violence case of that magnitude isn't going to be smart enough to check Twitter for a hashtag concerning police locations, but I did stop tweeting exact locations once I thought about it."

Though nearby houses were evacuated, Greer said he didn't fear for his life because all his doors were locked, and he felt he could defend himself.

"I didn't expect this at all," he said after the incident was over. "We're just five guys living in a five bedroom house off Meadow View and had a crazy night happen."

Get daily news, sports, opinions, entertainment and more, delivered every morning.

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Recommended for you

(1) comment


"Around midnight, the city's spokesman contacted Greer asking him to stop tweeting out specific information about the standoff for safety reasons, and Greer complied."

I can't believe it took a phone call to this idiot explaining that what he was doing was not in the best interest of the officers' safety. You will never be able to fix stupid.

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.