Smoking AC unit forces evacuation at Bryan High

Classes are expected to resume as usual Tuesday after Bryan High School evacuated its campus Monday afternoon when smoke was detected in the gym around 3:15 p.m.

Bryan Fire Department Battalion Chief Jason Nored said there was a light haze of smoke in the building when firefighters arrived. Nored said the the smoke was traced to a malfunctioning fan motor for an air-conditioning unit in an upstairs athletic room.

Some buses were delayed because of the evacuation, and a school district official said two students were treated for injuries after a wheelchair fell during the evacuation.

Both the Bryan and College Station fire departments responded.

Get daily news, sports, opinions, entertainment and more, delivered every morning.

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.