Here are some upcoming events and stories around Bryan-College Station that we're watching this week. For more events, visit theeagle.com/calendar.
• The Navasota Public Library is hosting a reptile show from 5 to 6 p.m. on Monday. The Austin Reptile Show will present a program on reptiles where you can see and touch live reptiles. The event is free for all ages. Children must be accompanied by an adult. For more information, call 936-825-6744.
• The Clara B. Mounce Public Library is hosting a Family Game Night on Monday from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Board games will be available. It is a come and go event. For more information, visit bcslibrary.org/events.
• Snake Day is at the Clara B. Mounce Public Library on Tuesday at 10 a.m. Get free tickets downstairs starting at 9:30 a.m. There will be three shows upstairs starting at 10 a.m. Local snake expert Don Plitt will explain about snakes found in the Brazos Valley. For more information, visit www.bcslibrary.org/events.
• The Clara B. Mounce Public Library is hosting Lucas Miller, singing zoologist, on Wednesday at 10:30 a.m. Get free tickets at 10 a.m. Lucas Miller will sing and teach about animals. For more information, visit www.bcslibrary.org/events.
• The U.S. Postal Service is honoring former President George H.W. Bush with a forever stamp and dedication ceremony to celebrate what would have been his 95th birthday. The ceremony is Wednesday from 11 a.m. to noon. The stamp art is a portrait of Bush painted by artist Michael J. Deas and based on a 1997 photograph taken by Timothy Greenfield-Sanders, according to the Postal Service. For more information, visit www.bush41.org/events.
• The Bush Birthday Tribute at the George H.W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum is Wednesday from noon to 4 p.m. The event honors the 95th birthday of President George H.W. Bush and the 94th birthday of Barbara Bush. There will be free birthday cake, popcorn and refreshments in the rotunda. For more information, visit www.bush41.org/events.
• Clara B. Mounce is hosting a Hawaiian Social on Thursday at 3 p.m. There will be Hawaiian food, crafts and games for ages 10 to 18. For more information, visit www.bcslibrary.org/events.
• The Stella Hotel is hosting a Backyard Star Party on Thursday from 9 to 11 p.m. Discover the wonders of the solar system and galaxy through telescopes. This event features three telescopes set up in the Backyard. Volunteers are on hand to describe what is visible through the lens. This is a free event.
Thursday through Saturday
• The Texas State Federation of Square & Round Dancers presents “Dance Across Texas – Escape the Everyday” State Square Dance Festival Thursday through Saturday from 7 to 10 p.m. at The Brazos Center. The event is free for spectators.
• The Queen Theatre is hosting Free Film Friday at 1:30 p.m. The movie screening will be Home – a 2015 animated film. For more information, visit www.queenbryantx.com.
• The Downtown Bryan Summer Sunset Series features Texas 105 Band on Friday at 8 p.m. at the Palace Theater. The free concert is presented by KBTX. Gates open at 7:30 p.m. For more information, visit www.downtownbryan.com/event/2019-summer-sunset-series.
• New York Times best-selling science fiction author Martha Wells will talk about her books, including The Murderbot Diaries, on Saturday at 2 p.m. inside the Clara B. Mounce Public Library. For more information, visit www.bcslibrary.org/events.
• The Grimes County Courthouse in Anderson is having a 125th birthday party on Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Enjoy a variety of activities including a pancake breakfast, an antique car exhibit, guided tours of the courthouse, a history display inside the courtroom, a kids' corner, hot dogs, and an ice cream social courtesy of Blue Bell Creameries. Music will be provided by a barbershop quartet and a brass band. The day will culminate with the dedication of a time capsule to be sealed for 25 years and opened again at the courthouse's 150th birthday celebration. For more information, visit www.facebook.com/events/1379307695556711.
• The Dixie Chicken 45th birthday celebration is Saturday from noon to 9 p.m. The party will have live music from Holly Beth, Sarah Green, The Gingos & Geoff Spahr, Roger Creager, William Beckman, Josh Grider and Drew Kennedy, Dalton Domino and Dub Miller. For more information, visit www.facebook.com/events/321252988769203.
• Century Square presents Coffee and Cars on Sunday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. where the public is invited to browse a diverse collection of cars ranging from classic to exotic. Enjoy free parking and coffee. For more information, visit www.century-square.com/events.