Today, The Eagle takes a look at candidates in contested Brazos County Republican and Democratic Primary races.
The Editorial Board spent about an hour with the each candidate. We came away with the conclusion that Brazos County residents would be well-served by any of the candidates. Never before have we seen the outstanding quality of all the candidates in all the local races. In this time of fraction and division in our national and state politics, it is heartening to see so many excellent candidates on the local level. It gives us great hope for the future.
The problem for us was making decisions on whom to recommend. Our recommendations are but one source of information voters should consider when going to the polls. Other sources of information could include news stories, campaign ads and mailings, and discussions with family, friends and coworkers.
Election Day is March 3. Voters in Texas will go to the polls that day, as will voters in Alabama, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Democrats Abroad, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont and Virginia. Should a runoff be needed -- and with so many candidates in several races, it no doubt will be -- it will be on May 26.
Early voting beings Tuesday and runs through February 28. Any registered voter in Brazos County may cast an early ballot.
Hours for early voting are:
• Tuesday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Saturday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
• Feb. 23, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• Feb. 24 through Feb. 28, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Registered voters may cast a ballot at any of the early voting locations:
• Brazos County Administration Building, 200 S. Texas Ave. in Bryan.
• Arena Hall, 2906 Tabor Road at North Earl Rudder Freeway in Bryan.
• Galilee Baptist Church, 804 N. Logan St. in Bryan
• College Station Utilities Meeting & Training Facility, 1603 Graham Road in College Station.
• Memorial Student Center, Room L526, Texas A&M University in College Station.
All voters must show an approved photo ID such as a Texas driver license, Texas election identification certificate issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety, Texas personal identification card issued by the DPS, Texas handgun license issued by the DPS, United States military identification card with photograph, United States citizenship certificate with photograph, United States passport.